Select Page

Las Vegas Emancipation Lawyers

If you or anyone you know in southern Nevada—Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, or Primm or Mesquite—needs assistance in the realm of family law with Emancipation of a minor, you need the best legal representation you can get to lead to a swift and easy resolution to your legal issue.

You need a family law attorney in Las Vegas NV. Douglas Crawford Law can help!

The Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) have a subsection, NRS 129.080, dedicated to the issue of Emancipation. Any minor at least 16 years of age, whether married or living apart from parents or legal guardian, may petition the court for their emancipation. The process is fairly smooth: a petition must be filed in writing with the name, age, and address of the minor in question, including the parents’ name and addresses or legal guardian; if no parents or guardian are on record the name and address of nearest known relative in state will do; along with some basic facts about the minor’s education, job history, and time living away from parent or guardian; and, perhaps most important, that the minor is managing their own financial affairs and that income does not derive from any illegal activity.


There is one more very important piece of the paperwork puzzle: the minor must be actively pursuing education at their age and grade level, or must have written authorization to be excused from school. The state of Nevada wants the best future for its citizens, so it benefits your case for us to be able to show you are attending school or have a very valid reason if you are not.

The NRS has a standard form that we will file on your behalf. While the paperwork may look fairly simple up front, it is best to have solid legal representation throughout this entire process. You don’t want to make a even a small mistake—it may have large ramifications down the road. I have over 30 years of experience in this type of law and will help you move swiftly through the process.

There are many reasons why a minor might want emancipation from a parent or guardian. As the process moves forward, the person you are requesting emancipation from will be served by the court with your petition. If you are concerned for whatever reason about your personal safety during this process, I can help make you feel more comfortable, filing paperwork to that affect on your behalf if necessary. As I said, I have 30 years of experience with this type of law and have heard every story you can imagine. Anything you tell me will be completely confidential.

Emancipation In Las Vegas

When everything has been filed the court will hold a hearing. The judge may request copies from the school district, Child and Family Services Department, or another agency to help determine the outcome. These requests are often normal. They help the court to consider your entire history and return a fair verdict.

Whatever your situation, if you’re seeking emancipation for yourself or another family member, do the best thing you can for a successful outcome and hire an experienced Family Law Attorney in Las Vegas.

Hire me. I can be reached at (702) 383-0090.

Click if you want to learn about Name Change and need a great Las Vegas Name Change Attorney.

For more information on how https://douglascrawfordlaw.com can help you with the Emancipation of a minor in Nevada, please contact us.

Douglas Crawford Law

501 S 7th St, Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 383-0090

Nevada Emancipation Lawyer

How does emancipation work in Nevada?

Emancipation is the legal process by which a minor under the age of 18 is declared an adult. If a Nevada minor is at least 16 years old, he or she may petition the court to be emancipated if: The minor is married or lives separate and apart from his or her parents.

How do you get emancipated in Las Vegas?

People under the age of majority (usually 19 in most states) are considered to be legally independent in Nevada. A kid must be married or living away from his or her parents or legal guardian to be emancipated.

Can you move out at 16 without parental consent in Nevada?

Whether it’s 16, 17, or 18 years old, you can lawfully move out of your parents’ home. You’ll simply need to show that you can support yourself like any other adult, or be under the care of a guardian.


What are the conditions of emancipation?

To get a declaration of emancipation, you must first show that you are at least 14 years old, do not want to live with your parents, and that your parents do not object if you leave home.

How long does it take to get emancipated?

The average time to hear a petition for emancipation is 4-6 weeks after you submit your lawsuit, although the timetable varies from court to court.


Can I move out at 17 in Nevada?

The short answer is “certainly,” but your most probable ACTUAL question is “what can my parents do about it?” Your parents may report you as a runaway if you are under the age of 18, unmarried, and without any guardianship.


Do both parents need to consent for therapy in Nevada?

The Child Assisted Suicide Prevention Act was enacted to eliminate irrevocable parental decisions and jeopardize the public’s interest, as well as end legal uncertainty. The act also provides clarity through reform, introducing a comprehensive new Code of Ethics for all psychologists in response to the American Psychological Association’s urgent call for action. The code covers topics such as confidentiality, assessment reports, informed consent and more.

At what age can I legally move out?

What Is the Legal Age to Move Out? Until they are 18 years old, parents are legally responsible for their children. This entails providing a safe place for them to live. You may leave at 16 or over, but your parents will continue to care for you until you reach 18.

Can a 16 year old leave home?

Once they reach the age of 16, children can leave home or their parents may request that they move out. Parents are responsible for the care of their children until they turn 18, and they’ll almost certainly require assistance.


What is an example of emancipation?

To emancipate is to set someone free. This was an example of emancipating when the slaves were freed. When a kid is liberated from his parents’ authority, this is an instance of emancipate. To release as a minor from parental control; to grant emancipation to a youngster.